Personal tools

Marchant Memorial Library
You are here: Home / About Our Library / History / Library History

Library History

Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.

    The doors of the first library were opened in a local school house.   The library was forced to move to various buildings when the school needed the room allowed for the library in the 1920's.  The Scranton Welfare League stepped  in and purchased the Old Farmers Merchant building for the library use.

With the help of the League, clubs and donations, the library was able to provide service unitl 1937, when the city passed a resolution to establish a town library levying a tax of 1 1/2 mills for maintenance.

   And so in 1954, plans were made to tear down the old building and with the united efforts of the community in providing time, efforts and resources, a new library was completed by the close of 1954.

  With the growing use of the library, more room was needed and so in 1972 with the help of the Kinney-Lindstrom and matching funds provided by town citizens, the existing library was built which doubled the size.

    In September of 2004 the Library received a check of $453,000 from the Marchant family for the building and maintenance of a new library.  Several different plans were considered and finally agreed upon one!

    On September 6th,  2014 the library moved to its new location and on the 10th opened its doors to the public to enjoy! A grand opening was then held on September 27th to commemorate the beautiful building and generous donation.