Know Your Community | Civic/Community Engagement
GOAL #1: Citizens will obtain information about community events and organizations at the library.
Objective #1: The library will create, maintain, and display a community calendar monthly.
· Library staff will display upcoming library events in multiple formats inside the library including posters, a list of events and dates, and a calendar (Spring 2020).
· The director will coordinate with the city clerk to add city events to the calendar (Summer 2020).
· The director will coordinate with other community leaders to add events to the community calendar (Summer 2020).
o Ex: Community Center, Scranton Little League, Kids’ Fishing Day, Scranton Betterment Committee
· The director will include the community calendar events on the library’s website and Facebook pages (Fall 2020).
Objective #2: The library will host community events to encourage citizen involvement.
· The library will host a Community Sign-Up event for summer programs in Scranton (Summer 2020).
o Little league, Kids’ Fishing Day, Vacation Bible School, Summer Reading
o The director will coordinate a time/day with the leaders of the events.
o Library employees will have sign-up sheets for the events available for patrons before and after the sign-up event.
· The library will host a Meet the Candidates event before local elections (Fall 2020).
o Mayor and city council candidates on the ballot will be invited to attend.
o The library director will have questions prepared.
o Program attendees will have time to ask questions.
· The library will be the host location for various community meetings (Fall 2022).
o Scranton Township Cemetery meetings (Spring 2020)
o The library director will get in touch with the leaders of community groups to volunteer the library as a meeting place (Spring 2021).
o The library will host a “Volunteer Fair” to coordinate community groups with people who would like to become involved in the community (Spring 2022).
Objective #3: The library will provide citizens of Scranton access to community information.
· Local events will be advertised and encouraged by library staff (Spring 2021).
o Posters for local events will be posted.
o Local cable access channel will be played in the library.
· Library staff will maintain a community events suggestion box (Spring 2022).
o Suggestions can be communicated to the library board and/or city council.
- The library will create and maintain a Community Information section (Spring 2023).
- Brochures from local businesses
- Applications for community volunteer organizations